Saturday 31 March 2012

Extra luggage allowance / helping to help

As some of you may know, and for reasons I'm not going into here, I'm at home in Wales. At the moment, I intend to fly back to Africa next Thursday (5th) to start my trip.

To cut a long story short, I have more luggage allowance than I need.

I want to use the additional allowance for children's clothes and shoes which I intend to give to a charity based in the Namatala slums area of Mbale.
I know I have spoken about the corruption that exists in Uganda which may make some of you question why, but I can hand on heart say I trust the people who run this 100%.

Please see here for further info - http://www.childofhopeuganda.org/activities

So I'm asking for children's clothes and shoes in good condition that range from about six months old to 12 years old.

If anyone from work has anything to donate, please can you give them to Luke Merlini (Corporate Services, Rivers) or Kira Hutchinson (Comms, 4th floor, Ty Cambria) by no later than midday on Wednesday 4th as that's when I'll be collecting them.

If non work people anything to donate, please let me know. However, I'm only using my UK WORK mobile number at the moment (the one that ends in 94). Otherwise, drop me an email or Facebook message. Only problem is, I haven't got a car here so I'm afraid you'll have to get stuff to me.

Once I've collected everything, I'll select a mixture of girls and boys clothes in a variety of sizes. I will split any surplus between a local charity shop and a local organisation that works with underprivileged families.

If you are kind enough to make a clothing donation, please can you consider the conditions over there.
Summer clothes would be best but if you have any lightweight cardigans etc, that would be great too.
Dark clothes would be better as they won't show the dirt so much.

Some people have asked me about making financial donations to charities here, particularly after the fire. This site has a donation facility so if you want to, you could give via this. No pressure but if you can, I am confident funds will go directly to those that need it the most.

You can see more about financial donations (and hopefully be reassured your money will be used properly here -

http://www.childofhopeuganda.org/about-coh/great-facts

Thank you in advance, particularly to Luke and Kira who I've just dumped this on without asking them first!

X

No comments:

Post a Comment