Thursday 8 March 2012

Footing & boda techniques

Despite being told never to get on a boda boda (motorbike taxi) whilst we were here, it's just not realistic. If you didn't catch a boda, you wouldn't be able to get anywhere, or you'd have to take out a small mortgage to pay for private hire cars, but you can pretty much tell which ones are safe and yell at the drivers to go slower if you don't feel comfortable.

I'm often met with looks of disbelief and bewilderment when I'm walking or tell people where I'm going / where I've walked from. Walking (or footing as it's known here) is seen as a sign of poverty and people with some money can be quite snooty about it and boda or drive everywhere.
At home, I'm guilty of driving everywhere, even from my house to the local shop in nice weather, but here I really enjoy "footing" and find it quite invigorating.
(Flashback - "Why do "fingers" come out whenever you're around?" - MW)

For somewhere that doesn't work at speed or get much done, there is a buzz around the place I've never experienced anywhere else.

As well as giving me something to do in the evenings, there's always :

* a new amusing or bizarre sight, mode of transport or hilariously perilous breach of H&S to see.
My favourite to date was a guy using a blowtorch. In a petrol station.
Followed closely by a man carrying a pane of glass about six foot wide whilst bouncing round on the back of a boda.

* some prehistoric-pterodactyl-looking bird to watch flying around
(Sue walks around in an a state of constant enthralment and wonder whilst looking at them. I just think they're ugly)

* a bizarre new smell lingering in the air
(Not sure what they burn here, but it smells similar to Mwg Drwg apparently)

* a school brass band practicing
(There has been minimal improvement since my arrival. In fact, the longer I'm here, the worse they sound. Mrs Rimmer - or should that be Jen considering I left school 14 years ago?! - sounds like your help is much needed!)

* Prayer time at the local mosque, especially when you can hear echoes of another call to prayer from a nearby mosque. It sounds like they're having a sort of religious sing off - one starts then you can hear the other starting in the faint distance until it echoes round the town.
(And I don't care what anyone else says, part of it does sound like the opening to that Lion King song to me, particularly at 5.30am every morning)

But now that The Rains have arrived (and after being surprised by The Rains whilst wearing a fairly thin white shirt which caused many a disapproving look), I'm catching more bodas nowadays to save my dignity. And my cream trousers.

There are two very different techniques to riding a boda.
There's the :
* Get On, Grab Onto The Handles, Tense Every Muscle In Your Body And End Up Grinding The Driver approach or you can
* Get On And Embrace The Bounce.

Over the past weeks, we've discussed boda techniques in considerable detail, much more detail than the topic merits.
For example :
Where it best to go if you're two blokes catching a boda?
Are you the bread or the meat?
Do you grind or get ground (?)?!

Do you look ahead at the violently potholed roads and prepare yourself for the impact or go with the bouncy flow?

I'm starting to Embrace The Bounce.
Whilst I'm sure the constant thigh tensing that accompanies the former approach could lead to certain talents, mine don't need to get any bigger.

No comments:

Post a Comment