Wednesday 14 March 2012

Scaring kids & making a difference

There's a very strong link between the project I'm working on (TACC) and an organisation called Mbale Coalition Against Poverty, known as CAP.
(I can't get away from acronyms, even here!)
TACC stemmed from a partnership between CAP and PONT (Partnership Overseas Networking Trust) which encourages professionals and organisations from Mbale and Ponty to work together.

The environment sector was one of the areas covered by CAP and PONT and to cut a long story short, because of the work they had done, Mbale was nominated to pilot a United Nations Development Programme and thus Mbale TACC was born.

For the past two days, I've escaped from the roasting TACC office and have been spending time with CAP's tree planting coordinator who is called Rogers.

We've been to a few tree planting projects in and around the Mbale region where I've seen for myself how important education resources about tree planting, energy efficient cooking and rainwater harvesting is to the organisations TACC needs to work with.

It's such shame I didn't meet with them sooner as I now know for certain what needs to be done and how. Oh well, at least I'll be really busy for the next 2.5 weeks.
(I seriously cannot believe how quickly time has gone)

One of the projects we visited yesterday was in real out-in-the-sticks rural Uganda that had never seen a white person before.

As always, you have to do the compulsory long winded handshakes with everyone (handshakes can last FOREVER here) and I always make a point of shaking hands with the kids too.
There was one kid who looked particularly suspicious of me so I thought I'd make an extra effort with him and twtied down to say hello.

I have never seen a kid look so petrified, scream so loud or run away so fast in my life! As you'll see below, he didn't warm to me one bit!

Today was even better. For the first time since being here, I felt like I'm making a difference.

As I haven't been out on site much or spoken to many stakeholders, a lot of the knowledge I've gained and the resources I've created have been based on my own thoughts and internet research of what I thought may be needed here, so I was really, really nervous about showing my work to a Ugandan Mr Big Cheese of one the organisations that should benefit from TACC.

His response to my work made the frustrations of the past weeks vanish in an instant and almost made me want to cry with relief.

Mr Cheese said, "Thank you. I am so pleased you have done this work for us. It will make a big difference. It is exactly what we have wanted and needed for a long time."

That was exactly what I wanted and needed to hear since being here.

:-)

Photos :

(If you ever want to feel like a celebrity, give your camera to a Ugandan - I was being papped all day!)

1. Me and my biggest fan (see far right!)

2. Being taught about tree seedlings. In great, great depth

3. Those corn rows are closer to reality Cath - big zig zaggy ones!

4. Quote of the day. "Dani, there is a drought here until the rains come. Can you water the plants for the photo instead of the path please?"
Luckily, they were all laughing!

5. Seedlings that I've forgotten the name of - don't tell Rogers!


No comments:

Post a Comment