Thursday 22 March 2012

Work update

For those of you that seem to think I’m having a jolly old time here in Mbale ... well, to be honest, I am!

I love it to bits and want come back again and again and again.
(When I get back, I’m planning on telling everyone in the Welsh public sector how horrendous this experience was so I can apply again in an attempt to come back!)

But I’m also working hard, I promise! My flexi is almost as high as it was this time last year (this time last year I was working on the C word and could barely go two hours without speaking to Andy G or Norman, poor dabs!).
Stuff I’ve been working on includes a comms strategy and action plan, writing some documents that explain what the project is about and working with web designers to create a TACC website. I’ve also created a number of resources for organisations to use when they’re educating people about how to adapt to climate change.

Despite how it apparently seems from this blog, life here is bloody hard work, exceedingly frustrating and at times downright infuriating. On a number of occasions, I’ve been catapulted well outside my comfort zone and I’ve had to remind myself that’s exactly what I wanted from this experience. I didn’t for one minute expect things to be easy, but I also didn’t expect some things to be quite so hard.

I think this blog has been giving people the wrong impression of what ‘real’ life is like here. When I tell people how tough I’ve been finding things, a lot have seemed surprised. That’s because I mostly write about the good and fun stuff! It constantly surprises me how many of you read this blog - bet none of you would if I moaned constantly!

It’s sod’s law that it’s only now things have clicked and I’m really starting to get it when my assignment ends on the 30th March (Happy Birthday for then Baby Brother / Happy Anniversary for then Nan and Grandad!). That said, I’ve had some lovely feedback from people in the ‘on the ground’ organisations TACC supports on my work.

I’ve also had a gem of an email from a Welsh guy I’ve met that works over here for half the year. He said, “Lots of people have noticed that about Uganda - that things start to happen just when you have nearly given up hope. Things move to a different rhythm here and it does our western heads in.”

His observation is totally right of course, but just seeing his words pop up on my computer screen made me feel relieved that it wasn’t just me that was on the verge of giving up hope of a productive assignment. The only advice I can give to people who may come over in the future is don’t expect Western ways to work in Uganda, but that persistence, perseverance and sheer doggedness will pay off - eventually!

Anyway, I only have six work days left in which to finish everything before I leave then I’m off on my travels and it’s Cape Town here I come!

For those of you interested in knowing more about Mbale TACC, go to www.taccmbale.org. It should be www.mbaletacc.org but we’re working to get this changed so who knows what it'll be this time next week... After all, TIA!
It's still not perfect and I'm waiting for a last set of amends, but it'll give you an idea of what we're trying to do.

Ps. I have to write and provide photos for a Meet a Colleague piece for the intranet. How do I do that without sounding like an utter tool?!

Pps. How many people know how pineapples grow without googling it? Da iawn Michelle, bad luck Ki! X

* * *

Photos:

1. Rebecca (TACC Project Manager) doing a spot check on one of the projects receiving a TACC grants for tree planting

2. Deforestation is a huge problem in the Mbale region. I've been working on education resources for organisations to use when they explain the reasons and impacts of climate change

3. Rainwater harvesting, another one of TACC's priority areas

4. Me in the TACC office.

No comments:

Post a Comment