Monday 5 March 2012

Unbelievable newspaper

As soon as I knew I was coming to Uganda, I did loads of reading about the place and the culture in order to avoid making any serious social faux pas that would offend people.

One thing that comes up time and time again in travel books and briefing notes is how any form of public affection between members of the opposite sex is considered extremely poor taste. Kissing or cwtching in public is seriously offensive and a huge no no.

As for being gay, homosexuality simply isn't tolerated here and people who are even suspected of being gay are treated as outcasts by their friends and family. Some of the comments I hear make me cringe and I frequently have to bite my tongue (can you imagine how hard that is for me?!) to stop openly challenging people here as doing so would be seen as entirely inappropriate.
The best I can do is explain, when asked, how I don't think being gay is anything to be ashamed of and I don't agree with Ugandan attitudes.

So considering this I was gobsmacked to read an edition a newspaper called Red Pepper which is almost exclusively about sex!
I don't think I need to say anything about any of the articles listed below - they have to be read to be believed! Try to zoom in to read them if you can.

Unbelievable!

I think my favourite has be be the reference to scrotal eruptions though!

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dani

    We found the same paper when we were out there last year. I brought a copy home, it really has to be seen to be believed. Enjoying the blog, keep up the good work.

    ST

    ReplyDelete