Tuesday 7 February 2012

We've arrived!

(I wrote this after being promised there was wifi in our hotel – there wasn’t!)

Sue, Alex and I have just got to out hotel in Kampala after a fairly uneventful journey. Luckily, we were one of the flights that managed to leave Heathrow today with only a short delay … but I almost wasn’t on it…

As I went to drop my luggage off (which, incidentally, was .9kg below the limit – get in!), the lady at the desk looked a little puzzled at the slip of paper the check in machine had given me. Turns out that I was somehow on a reserve list rather than having an actual seat booked! But after a heart stopping few minutes, she confirmed I did have a seat and that I was able to fly. Phew!

Everything worked pout for the best though as I had a lovely double seat all to myself.

Well, I DID have a lovely double seat all to myself until the air stewardess apologised profusely for not seating me next to my husband – and beckoned Alex over.

“Eh? My what? Husband? I’m not married. And I’m certainly not married to him. I mean, he’s lovely and all, but we’re not married. I’m not married to him. We just work together.”
At which point, Alex looked a little put out and said, “Ok, you didn’t have to put her right so quickly and with such enthusiasm.” Sorry Al.

Sue didn’t fare so well with her seat though and ended up being stuck in the middle of a row of three randoms. Lucky for her she’s so teeny tiny!

So after 10.5 hours of sitting on the plane, we finally arrived at Entebbe airport and were met by Alex and Ali who took us to the hotel we’re in now.

Aa it was dark when we arrived, we didn’t really get much of a chance to get any first impressions.

We’re being picked up by Edward, Emerging World’s Country Manager tomorrow who’ll be taking us to Mbale.

Quote of the day :
Alex : You know people who have toes?
Um, yeah. Why? Do you know people that don’t then?!

Current location :
Fairway Hotel, Kampala, Uganda

Last text I had and what did it say
From Kira saying Wow, glad you made it. The score was 23 21 to Wales!

Last thing I ate
A British airways sandwich masquerading as something to do with chicken

What do you wish you knew yesterday?
That I had .9kg left on my luggage allowance
That I would see two blokes on a motorbike carrying another motorbike – that would have made a great photo!

Best thing to happen today?
We won the rugby! Wish I’d have seen it.

Kwaheri salama.

No comments:

Post a Comment