Saturday 19 May 2012

Rachel's getting hitched!

(I'm writing this now in case I can't get online before next weekend)

Writing this from an internet cafe in Zimbabwe, I'm both ridiculously happy and deeply sad because in a few days time, one of my girls getting married thousands and thousands of miles away.The girl in question is one of my most beloved friends that I've known for about 10 years.

On paper, the (piss) artist formerly known as Miss Rachel Kay Thomas is a Welsh speaking, RE teaching, 33 year old genetically modified giant from Bargoed, daughter of Wyndham and Patricia, sister to Cerys, mam to Gruff and by this time next week, wife to Ian.
But the reality is, she's so, so much more than that. As well as being all of these things, she's quite simply a wonderful person who is one of my closest friends.

She's kind, thoughtful, caring, reliable, generous and funny (most, but not all, of the time we're laughing with her) and does the most hilarious chicken impression when playing Tregaron's Got Talent.

But she's far, far from perfect is our Rach - she snores, pukes in waste paper bins and on motorways, rarely makes a decent cup of coffee, cheers on Japan instead of Wales at the rugby ("but they look so little and sad, poor dabs. I'm cheering for them now. They're losing by too much.") and is generally a bit of a tit but we all love her to bits just the same.

Together and with others, we've shared happy times, drunken times, sober times, times when we've laughed so hard a little bit of pee came out (her, not me), completed the See How Many Things You Can Buy in Asda For a Pound Excluding Food Challenge (I won hands down), we've had WOFs, DOFs, NOFs, 16 HIDs, extreme laugh offs, speed dance offs, rap offs, crock offs, worst insult you can think of offs, sunny days, rainy days, nights in, nights out, and so many other fantastic times that I'll always laugh out loud to.

On the other hand, we've helped each other through some difficult and truly tragic times that neither of us will ever forget. Without realising it at the time, this is probably the foundation of our friendship and what makes you so special to me Rach.
And not just because we know too much about each other, but also because we both have photographic evidence of each other's grubby halos!

From the moment you first told us about Ian, the sparkle in your eyes, huge smile on your face and the air of unusual girly shyness about you told us your life had changed forever before your words did.
Admittedly, we didn't expect it to change quite as quickly as it did, but when your little (!) bundle of joy eventually (!) arrived on that snowed in (!) December day, you and Ian began your biggest adventure together. Gruff is evidence that you're as amazing as parents as you are with each other.

So Rach, I'm going to stop rambling now.
I love you to bits and back and am so, so sorry I won't be there in person watching you get married on Saturday. You're beautiful, inside and outside and I bet you'll look breathtaking in that new posh frock of yours!
But please don't ruin the illusion by doing the whole chicken act on Saturday. Let Ian enjoy being married to you before you inflict that on him.

I hope you have a wonderful wedding day.
You don't need luck for the future because I know the Bendall family will have an amazing life together.

Caru chi i gyd.

X

Ps. I have the Tregaron's Got Talent video footage if anyone is interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment