Thursday 5 April 2012

Back into Africa & donation update

After a short detour to the Rhondda via Entebbe, Nairobi and a million places in between, I'm currently in an Amsterdam departure lounge on one of the stop overs on my mingingly long journey back to Uganda before starting my trip down to Cape Town.

Thank you so, so much for all your donations of clothes and shoes. I can say with certainty that there are many, many children in the South Wales area that are far better dressed than I am! I can't wait to give them out.

I can also say with certainty that I have the most generous and thoughtful colleagues, friends and family (and even people that I've never met before - thank you Acorn people!) that went out of their way and even changed their evening plans to sort though suitable things for me to bring back. Diolch.

Selfishly, I'm going to keep a few things back like the football shirts, shorts and boots as they will, without a shadow of doubt, be THE coveted items I've brought. I'm going to give these things to kids I meet along the way as I think it will be nice to post some photos for you to see.
(Football comes a very close second to religion in Uganda, despite my self appointment to the role of WRU Participation Officer - Africa branch)

In particular, I want to thank my handsome (sorry Cam, I know that's not cool but you are handsome!) cousin Cameron.
Thank you soooo much for the football tops you left at Uncle Mike's. I'll tell whoever I give them everything I know about Cardiff City (won't take long) and make them promise to support City at all times. Except when they play against Liverpool of course!

I had so many things that I couldn't bring them all and there's been a slight change of plan in what I'm going to do with them.
I've given some of them to a local charity in the Rhondda and some to a cancer research shop. (Suspect they'll raise a small fortune - some of them were designer clothes with labels still on - you lot are bonkers!)
As for the rest, I'm confident that this isn't the last Uganda will see of me (poor Uganda. As if it doesn't have enough problems), so I've kept some back and will take the rest with me on my next trip.

Maybe next time I come I'll remember that five bottles of serum and three bottles of mousse was possibly bordering on excessive.
Waxing strips were totally necessary though.

(By the way, it was a right barrel of laughs carrying an extra suitcase along with my 100 litre rucksack to the check in desk - I almost took out a six foot something security guard on the way in. On the positive side though, at least he broke my fall)

Anyhoo, I'm starting my trip on Saturday morning.
I've got mixed feelings about it at the moment, but I'm sure I'll get into the swing of things soon enough.

Thanks for all your donations, kind words and support over the past week.

Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment